As we continue into autumn and head towards winter, I can’t help but reflect upon the changing of seasons and the change we experience in our lives. Unlike the seasons, our future can come as a surprise and bring with it the feeling of uncertainty. It’s often a lack of control that can cause us to feel anxious about change. But in life, one thing that is certain is that we will face uncertainty and change!
So here’s my top tips to help you deal with it:
- Acknowledge that things are changing – Sometimes we try to fight against change so much that we put off dealing with it. But recognising that things are changing and choosing ‘go with the flow’ can help to reduce stress and keep you feeling in control.
- Keep your routines as much as possible -The more change is happening, the more you’re going to need that routine to keep you grounded. Continue your routine as much as you can and if that’s difficult, work toward building back up to it again.
- Exercise– Keeping up a regular exercise could be apart of your ‘routine’ to stick to but it’s so important and exercising is proven to help reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety and generally help build good mental health! It’s a ‘win win’!
- Change isn’t always bad! – Sometimes we can get so caught up in the worries and unease that change brings that we forget the future has not taken place yet. How can we be certain this change won’t lead to new, positive opportunities in the future.
- Embrace change in your everyday life – Dealing with change, like many things in life, is a skill. The more we practise, the easier it can become. We can practice our tolerance of change by willingly introducing small amounts every now and then. So pick up new foods, try a different style, use a different route to get home or (if you’re feeling brave!) start a conversation with someone you wouldn’t normally talk to. It could be the start of something wonderful.